Youth News and Happenings!!
By Dawn Karlson, Minister of Youth Development
We put our aprons on and the chef gave us instructions. When the chef left, Michael asked: “Dawn, if we’d worked as waiters before, maybe we’d understand what he just said… but since none of us have ever done this before can you please TRANSLATE?” As I explained their responsibilities, I realized this was a moment to develop SERVANT LEADERSHIP. We’ve been exploring the “why” behind leadership in Y.E.S. Group (power, money, recognition, passion, being an ally, change, love…); and thinking about how servant leadership is different from traditional hierarchical leadership.
- The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve… Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead.
- The difference manifests itself in the care taken by the servant-first to make sure that other people’s highest priority needs are being served.
- A servant-leader focuses primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the communities to which they belong.
- While traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the “top of the pyramid,” servant leadership is different. The servant-leader shares power & puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible. (- Robert K. Greenleaf)
As the Hungry Hearts Fundraiser Night unfolded, I watched the youth who’d signed up for this event blossom into their natural servant leadership… kindly, thoughtfully, charismatically, creatively, serving according to their gifts. Servant Leadership at its best. The Way of Jesus – That’s the way we roll in our youth programs.
Service Trip Opportunities
- Heads Up! Hartford: June 21st – June 28th, 2019. For more information, click here: https://headsuphartford.com/
- AUF Ecuador: June 25th – July 6th, 2019
For more information on the above, please contact Dawn Karlson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or, (860) 874-6325